Saturday, September 20, 2014

Butterfly in the sky....

I can go twice as high! Okay, not really but this week at my son's school they are having a monarch butterfly release. It is a tradition there and they even sell t-shirts for the occasion. I, however, and too much of a cheapskate to buy a tshirt that will be worn for ONE day and be hidden beneath my apron at work. SO....I decided to make myself and the ladies I work with some hair clips to wear on the day of to celebrate.

Using various scrap paper I had (and by scrap I mean, tiny pieces that have been around for years) and a Spellbinders Shapabilitites set (s4-395) and just the smallest amount of hot glue and tulle I created some hair clips! It was super easy, I promise.

I would suggest that when using the more detailed spellbinders dies it is VERY useful to have a metal shim. Otherwise a lot of fine details are going to be lost and merely embossed instead of cut out.

I had a lot of fun making these. The paper that I unearthed was White Wash Core-D-Nations. Man I love me some core'dnation papers. They are never a disappointment. I also used some tulle from a yardsale last year and some left-over adhesive pearls that I have had for ages. However, I did use hot glue to really make sure they were going to stay put. 

The clips themselves came from Walmart in the sewing section. They have an entire hair bow accessory section. Much as I don't like Walmart, it is a necessary evil until the new Hobby Lobby opens 15 minutes from my house. (insert happy dance here)



And viola! Cute hair butterflies! I can't wait for Friday to wear them! I am such a kid when it comes to accessorizing. 


What are you working on this weekend? I am doing my best to do as little as possible today. This was my "me" time for the week. I am counting the days until this week is over. I get a 2 week vacation from work! WOO! Thank you, Fall break! 

1 comment: