Thursday, February 16, 2017

A Little Something Extra

So, back a month or two ago I found these cool gear drink containers at Walmart on clearance. One was a warm beverage tumbler and one was a cold beverage tumbler. They had coloring sheets that slip inside the tumbler. Of course, I wasn't thinking of the coloring sheets....I wanted to create something with the latest Stampotique release....so that is exactly what I did.

What I did not anticipate was how difficult it would be to get a good PHOTO of the tumbler when I was done! Yeesh! Finally, the sun came out and that, of course, did help. So, hang onto your hats, this is going to be a photo heavy post.

So this month we had a new release at Stampotique and I was excited to see that there was a merMAN in the bunch to round out the mer-collection. Of course, I wanted to do an underwater scene like, ASAP....so that is exactly what I did here.
I started with a background using Bristol smooth surface paper and Dylusions ink sprays mixed with Heidi Swapp Color Shine ink sprays to create an underwater look. I used Americana acrylic Paint to create colored bubbles and then stamped circles (from Stampotique) to create even more bubbles. The squiggles are also Stampotique. ;) I loaded up with the stamps on this project!
Then, enter the merpeeps and octo-pet. I water-colored the images using Fabre Castell gelatos. I have had a lot of fun using these for water-coloring recently as they fill the gaps left by my watercolor pencils where I am short on certain colors.
I decided to outline the images more boldly with a permanent black marker to make them pop better. One downfall to creating something with a specific color story is realizing it all blends together.
I love how the images, when put all together created a sense of motion and a sense that they were, indeed, underwater! I was very excited to see this project come together. 
I can say this. Using a thick paper has its drawbacks when you are trying to shove it into a thin space. I had a hard time getting everything to fit since the images created, essentially, a second layer. That being said, once it was in the tumbler it came to life for me all over again.
My son keeps threatening to steal this tumbler from me. He loves the images and he loves that it is so colorful. I have to hide my tumbler from my child, haha!

I am so excited with the way this project turned out. I just have it sitting on the shelf so I can look at it. I have a color beverage tumbler too and cannot wait to get going on a story for it as well, so be sure to check back here soon!

Ingredients:

Smushasha: Stampotique
Snuhubala: Sampotique
Octopet: Stampotique
Circles Cube: Stampotique
Squiggle Arms: Stampotique
Bristol Smooth Surface Paper
Dylusions Ink Sprays
Heidi Swapp Color Shine
Americana Acrylic Paint
Fabre Castell Gelatos
Mod Podge
Cool Gear Tumbler
Clear Snap Black Ink
Ranger Archival Black Ink


No comments:

Post a Comment