Saturday, January 26, 2013

My cute little eskimo.

So, this year, my son's school is having a social studies fair, and his class is studying the Arctic Inuit tribe. He is loving it! For their fair, the chicklets are to dress up in Inuit costumes. I love making costumes for Noah, so this was fun for me!

I went to one of our local second hand stores and found a woman's coat that looked like suede and fur (fake, of course) for $4.25, and a pair of women's dress pants that were a similar color. I was hoping to be able to cut them up and make them smaller, but it didn't work out.


I made a pattern for the size of the top with some tissue paper and a shirt that is comfy and a little bigger on Noah. 
I cut up the coat and sized it down. I took out the sleeves so they could be sized down as well.  I cut off the bottom cuff of the sleeves and they were perfect for making the fur anklets I wanted to make for his boots/pants.

I cut up the coat and sized it down. I took out the sleeves so they could be sized down as well.  I added trim down the front and across the bottom as well.  
My darling husband made a fuzzy hood from the left over bottom portion of the coat. He stuffed poly fill into the fur so that it would stand up more. I am so thankful for his help! I couldn't have made such a nice hood!

We decided to just go with a pair of khaki pants for the bottom portion of the costume. It looks better than I thought! Add some snow boots and fur bootie covers and you have a lil eskimo!
RAWER! He loves his bear paws. (no, I didn't make them...they are toys)
And, of course, with the polar bears.  
So now, I can rest easy and know my son is ready for his social studies fair next month. My next project? Securing enough milk jugs from Starbucks to help his teacher make an igloo! Hope you enjoyed! I do apologize for the quality of the first few pix. Cell phone. Need I say more?

No comments:

Post a Comment